Thursday, February 7, 2013

Why are logos important? Blog Post 1

Why are logos important?

This is a question that I asked myself today as I was driving toward my Typography class or Graphic Design.
What's today? Thurday. Typography. Doesn't really matter. I was asking myself "Self?" What. Why are logos important? Why do they even matter. And why do I have write a stupid blog about it(actually I will probably end up having a lot of fun with this).  I am going to attempt to answer these questions. The first answer I had was "I don't know". Which is an honest answer I think. But as one of my mentors once said, "If you don't know, find out for yourself."

So I went onto the internet and found a website called logomojo.com. It can be found here: http://www.logomojo.com/ looking for some samples of logos to blog about or to inspire me to create even awesomer ideas for current or upcoming CGR projects. There is also an Meet the Design Team section which is very helpful in finding out what type of people become graphic design majors and various backgrounds.

After looking through some of the designs for logos and letter heads, I found a list of blogs from designers that work for logomojo.com
http://www.logomojo.com/design-process/the-logo-design-process

I found a list of what they called "The World's Best Logos". Which includes
links to blogs about why they are effective and good examples of why logos are important. Cono Fusco, a member of the LogoMojo design team writes, "A business logo design represents a symbol of identity, a means by which customers can instantly recognize your product or service. A logo design is moe memorable than their verbal counterparts."

Logos are important for bringing people in and creating trust in the product. The Golden Arches of MacDonalds tells customers that they can find the great tasting(or obesity inducting) foods they grew up with(or threw up after a night of drinking- perhaps). The iconic logo also helped create an international chain of restaurants for world travelers who find themselves in France or Japan or somewhere and find a little piece of home in a strange place.
 
http://www.logomojo.com/best-logos/aol-company-logo-design-history

That's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment